I have been stressed out this last week. I feel a bit like a mouse trapped in a corner. Why might you ask? It is because i am trying to figure out a way that i could become one of the ones that has the luxury of staying in San Francisco in the near future.
I am not a high paid executive and have honestly never cared much about money (to my dismay).
I look at my brother who i am really proud to see is slated to be in a good position to be able to stay in SF and become one of the new population movement. He owns his own business and it is in the medical industry so it is pretty stable and lucrative.
Me on the other hand… not so easy. And in fact… seemingly impossible to stay. I am an artist who is on disability. I am just able to afford what i have but it is far from an ideal situation !!
I either have to stay in my house (which is what is going to happen) until the man (who is very old) owns it passes or i have to leave this town.
So over the last few days i have been racking my brain. Now for the past week, I have been trying to figure out what my options are to be able, at my age, to make enough money to not have to leave SF. I came up with 2 options… drugs and sex.
If you are not in the tech or medical world or are an attorney, then, good luck! ..Unless you want to become a drug dealer or work in the sex trade.
Neither option sound good. I am not going to pick a career that vacation time is spent in the big house and i dont really particularly want to have to let old fat harry smelly men paw at me all the time to make rent!! That doesnt seem fair! Selling one’s soul for the city that they live… SUCKS!!
What other options are there here for someone who is not tech savvy?
I would be curious to hear any and all other ideas on this topic. It is a serious issue for many of us and there still may be a minute do do something about it before it is too late… so any ideas i would love for you to share!
- Neighbor David Talbot Laments the Tech-Fueled Gentrification of Bernal Heights (bluepearlgirlsworld.wordpress.com)
- Ceremonial Groundbreaking Held For SF’s Transbay Tower (sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com)
- Lights Out: What SF, NYC, And Tokyo Would Look Like Under Montana’s Stars (fastcodesign.com)
- Development Watch: SF to Become Major Cruise Port? (sf.curbed.com)
- Virginia Avenue, 29th Street, San Francisco (sfgate.com)
- Dear San Francisco recent recruits… Question for you on housing… (bluepearlgirlsworld.wordpress.com)
- Intro to SF Startup Community (slideshare.net)
- Debate Surrounding Anarchist Bookfair’s Location Misses The Nuance of the Porn Debate (indybay.org)
- Ron Conway’s next challenge: tackling homelessness (sfgate.com)
- Stigmatizing, Censoring Talk of Sexuality in Technology (psychcentral.com)