It is a great day when i finally see some (people) saying ENOUGH spending for only the rich when our basic needs are falling to the wayside!
Santa Clara was told yesterday that they would NOT be paying back the $30 million dollars that the redevelopment agency borrowed before the state broke up their program.
Now the counties have say in how any funds left in those redevelopment accounts are going to be used. And they have stated yesterday that they will NOT be paying back the $30m that was arranged to pay back the stadium after the funds were lent by the stadium so it could be built.
This is by no way going to effect wether or not the stadium will be built.
the 49ers loaned Santa Clara leaders the remaining $30 million and started construction, thinking they’d be paid back from future property tax revenues.
There’s just one glitch, however: The new state law gives counties complete control over doling out the property tax revenues from former redevelopment areas. At a meeting in Santa Clara City Hall on Friday, the oversight board voted 4-3 to keep the money from the 49ers and spend it instead on local governments and schools.
“Let’s be real: That stadium is going to get built whether or not you get this $30 million,” county tax collector George Putris, the oversight board member who proposed the motion, told a 49ers attorney at the meeting.
Friday, the oversight board voted 4-3 to keep the money from the 49ers and spend it instead on local governments and schools.
YEA!! Finally someone has some sort of head on their shoulders thinking about those other that the ones that can afford a $300 a seat ticket to see a football game! The basics of a community are being finally given proper consideration in regards to badly needed monies!
This whole 49er stadium has not come about in a way that has been respectful or even considerate to those long time SAN FRANCISCO 49er fans, NOR Candlestick, NOR even the city of SF! It is a big old fat cat money game, riddled with corruption and HUGE payoffs.
This stadium is going to be built. There is nothing that we can do about that. The 49ers are going to be leaving SF by 2014 (they even got it fas tracked so to eliminate one extra season in SF. And they are even going to try and keep the name SF 49ers.
That all sucks!. Up until this point, there has been not a single snag in this development for the rich. I think it is awesome that they may have to find this $30 million on their own. I am sure that they have got it, but it at least lends to a little bit of stress in the process.
San Francisco with the main help of Mayor Ed Lee, who is taking all sorts of back room deals by courting all these big businesses in the attempt to lure them to SF to set up camp. Just look at the skyline. It is growing exponentially in its shape.
I personally see a lot of building for the rich and nothing to even maintain basic basics for the poor and low income let alone infrastructure… Especially in housing.
Long story short, we have been sold out. And i believe Santa Clara was well (or is) on its way to the same fate.
It is really satisfying to see that there are still a couple of public officials tucked away in the wings who is ready to say NO. We really need more of it these days or the whole bay area is going to become one giant exclusive place for only the rich to live and play.
I dont know about you, but the rich may be rich with money, but they are poor in spirit and compassion. These two things are what make up a heart and soul of any city!
At least we will have the memories right?
- San Francisco Votes To Let 49ers Break Lease A Year Early (bayarea.sbnation.com)
- County suddenly yanks $30 million in tax funds from San Francisco 49ers stadium (mercurynews.com)
- Santa Clara 49ers? OH HELL NO!!! Something STINKS around that project! How very DARE they steal our SF 49ers! 😦 (bluepearlgirlsworld.wordpress.com)
- Some Fans Priced Out Of Season Tickets At 49ers Santa Clara Stadium (sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com)
- Video: Setting scene from 49ers minicamp (espn.go.com)
- Gold rush begins: 50,000 seats in San Francisco 49ers new stadium go on sale Monday (mercurynews.com)
- Playing the 49ers stock market: Seat values can rise, fall sharply (mercurynews.com)
- Santa Clara shovels begin end of 49ers in S.F. (sfgate.com)
- 49ers stadium in Santa Clara now ‘fully funded’ (sfgate.com)
- 49ers Reach First Milestone On New Santa Clara Stadium (bayarea.sbnation.com)
- Santa Clara Stadium Construction Ramping Up Quickly (sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com)
- San Francisco 49ers have Released the New Santa Clara Stadium Pricing, but Who’s Buying? (prweb.com)