I saw this story on goldfish that had been dumped into Lake Tahoe. These goldfish started out small in a bowl in someone’s household who thought it would be a good idea to dump them in the lake (NOTE*** this is NOT a good idea. Native species are in danger of being eliminated from the invasive non-natives taking the natives food or outright eating the natives. Right now the biggest threat is the big mouth carp in Lake Tahoe.).
People did not think goldfish could last through the winters in the lake due to the fact that it gets so cold with the snow coming right down to the banks of the lake.
Apparently they were wrong from the looks of it…
- Monster Goldfish Invading Lake Tahoe! (sfist.com)
- Giant Goldfish Found In Lake Tahoe (newsy.com)
- Giant Goldfish Have Invaded Lake Tahoe (blogs.smithsonianmag.com)
- Researchers concerned about goldfish in Lake Tahoe (sacbee.com)
- “Monster” Goldfish Multiplying in Lake Tahoe: Freshwater Species of the Week (newswatch.nationalgeographic.com)
- Monster Goldfish Found in Lake Tahoe (livescience.com)