As i was hiking in the park today I came across this notice. This is pretty serious for us in our neighborhood so people keep your eyes peeled let’s hope we find this missing kid!!!
Since San Francisco is now clearly turning into a town of big corporate sponsors and a high earning population… AND is really in its prime for its curent ‘bike culture, together makes for a perfect storm for bicycle thefts. Continue reading
As i have been sitting here watching our local news, my ears are pricked by the name of my brothers former place of employment having been robbed again this week. This is the second time this year.
A rash of armed robberies have been plaguing San Francisco pharmacies amongst many other US cities. In San Francisco, usually the pharmacy hit is a smaller neighborhood business and not a Rite-Aid or hospital.
This is particularly alarming for me for a couple reasons. Continue reading
This is a long thread that i had to copy from reddit to be able to share with you, however, it is such entertainment, i was pushed over the edge of my yes decision to post it. If your mind works anything like mine, then this will give you several SEVERAL good hard (possible hours) of laughs!! I hope you enjoy it as much as i did! Oh Atherton…….
(to be able to read this in a more cohesive format, go to reddit’s link here: http://www.reddit.com/r/firstworldproblems/comments/18gsc4/police_blotter_for_atherton_ca_where_the_median/ )
If you happen to live in Atherton Ca. which happens to be the states 4th most expensive zip code (median home price is 4.9 million!), then it is no huge surprise that you have even less than first world problems. You have maybe half world problems. And when there is a problem… Who do you call? The police of course. Boy if i were a Santa Clara county deputy i really would love to be assigned this beat! But only if i still had my patience and a serious sense of humor!
(To see the original article on the SFist, follow this link…
This was just too funny to pass up sharing with you all. I have lived in the Bay area my whole life, growing up deep in the Santa Cruz mountains. My dad’s business was over the hill and so we had friends over there. I have always been familiar with Atherton. I think my parents had friends that lived there (keeping in mind that this was in the 70’s & 80’s when it was really rich but the whole bay was much less populated than it is now).
In fact, life was much less complicated than it is now. And much more connected. Now days, fear is fed to us along with the ideals that beauty rules along with sex (however, it can not be talked about) and consumerism.
I dont think that in the days i was a kid that people living in Atherton were this incapable and terrified of… well… Anything that they might happen to come across. I suppose that is reserved for our curent generations of frightened stiff un-functioned twits living in their walled manses afraid of the world and clearly delusionally entitled.
I would not like to see these people cope in a natural disaster where you are forced to rely on your friends and neighbors. If this was survival of the fittest, these people would NOT survive.
It is funny but also just kinda sad, dont cha think?
- The Police Blotter for America’s Third Most Expensive Zip Code is a Thing of First World Beauty (gawker.com)
- On the Market: Got $34,888,000 Million? You Could Have Atherton’s Villa Eirini (sf.curbed.com)
- Photo of the day: Where the redwoods rule (quirkydirt.wordpress.com)
- Palo Alto contractor accused of fraud in Atherton remodel project (mercurynews.com)
- Judge orders Atherton resident to pay county $145,000 in legal fees for ‘frivolous’ lawsuit (mercurynews.com)
Not a gang… just a group….
I am sure that you (San Francisco) have heard about the rash of muggings going on in Bernal Heights. We held our first Bernal Safety neighborhood meeting tonight at Bernal Community Center to get together and exchange information and discuss ideas to help us all stay safe. The meeting was filled with a lot of information and ideas/suggestions most of which i am sure will be well outlined on http://www.bernalwood.wordpress.com by morning (if not, i will write a post in the morning with the update, because tonight, i want to give you this inside scoop).
After the meeting, i went home and got a call from a friend. We began talking about what was going on and i gave him the basic low down. This friend of mine did not used to be the way he is today and he tells me matter of fact that i would NOT have liked him at ALL if i would have met him back then. Not many people did.
Back then, my friend was a bad heroin addict and was a legitimate gang member. He had a bad habit and was not unfamiliar with violence and crime. This is some of the things he says he feels about these perps. Mind you, these are just his insights and opinions not the iron truth about the perpetrators. However knowing him, he is probably pretty close to right on target…. Let the information begin….
- The first thing that he told me was that they are probably taking the money to flip it to buy drugs to flip that to make bigger money. Most likely there is a drug connection.
- He is really insistant on this one… they are most likely NOT affiliated with a gang. In the gangs, blacks and hispanics do not inter-mingle. In fact, there is a lot of bad blood between the two races in the gangs. So he thinks that they are NOT gang affiliated but just 3 guys that most likely are….
- Living here and are probably NATIVE San Francisco-ers. They know this city and the neighborhood too well. The nooks and crannies. That tells that they have spent a lot of years tooling around the city streets and feel right at home here on main OR small streets.
- They probably live near Bernal… possibly in the lower lying lands. Most likely in a rougher neighborhood where illegal activity and violence are an every day thing for them to see since they were small. This is their world and their lifestyle. Crime is what pays when getting a job out there is virtually impossible (especially if you dropped out of high school or come from an impoverished neighborhood that does not show opportunities to its youth the way wealthy and affluent neighborhoods seem to.. (and even those neighborhoods kids are having a hard time not to mention the adults).
- He said that he really doubts that they want to shoot and kill anyone. They dont want to increase the incarceration time involved with a murder if caught. The violence or threat of violence does enough. They still accomplish their goal. If they wanted to kill somebody they would have by now. I questioned this since they most likely are the same ones that shot the guy in the hand at 30th and mission last week and pistol whipped a victim. But he remains very insistant on this not being the case. He says not because they have feelings about taking a life but because the consequences involved if caught. (that makes more sense).
- My friend said that his options to come up if he was dope sick and needed drugs was either to steal it or to sell his body. He chose the first but he said
“I did what i needed to do when i was dope sick on heroine. Robbing people was an easy way for me to do that. “
- They are probably living in a very poor native neighborhood where crime is an every day happening. It is a way of life. Poverty and drug abuse and violence is a way of life. They are probably living in or near the projects and most likely have an (at least one) abusive parent(s).
There you have it folks. From the mouth of someone who (seriously regrets his actions as a youth) has lived it first hand.
It is also something to think about… People can change. People can make better lives and choices for themselves. People are often just a product of their environment and until we have walked a day in someone else’s shoes, we really could not know what it is like to have to live their life. Anyone can make a change for the better in their lives. I personally know someone who managed the impossible and did so. He corrects me and says he is still IN the process of DOING so.
I say… good for him!
By the way. I am so glad that i still live in a true old school mentality of neighborhoods. It feels like it used to. I love the fact that we are all working together. Strength in numbers and knowledge is power. You are AWESOME BERNAL!!
- Inside (and in site) the mind of a former heroin addict and gang member… What are these muggers M.O. and motivation? (bluepearlgirlsworld.wordpress.com)
- My stolen iPhone could end up in your stocking this year (venturebeat.com)
- Weirdest Coincidence Ever? (girlygirl.typepad.com)
- A Curiously Curated Map of San Francisco (abullseyeview.com)
- Best ways to carry money while traveling (usatoday.com)
- San Francisco Residents and Commuters Now Have Access to Critical Crime and Safety Alerts through AlertID (prweb.com)
- San Francisco Officials Prepare For Super Bowl, Hope To Avoid Violence (sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com)
- Shaken by the latest digital gold rush, San Francisco struggles for its soul. (modernluxury.com)
- The Longest War is the One Against Women (v-daypetaluma.org)
- San Francisco streetlights will spy on passersby (rt.com)
We have a description of a vehicle thanks to neighbor and victim Miranda. Here is her words for you to hear and be on the watch for! Once again, thanks Miranda…
MirandaJan 27, 4:32 pm
“I am a victim from november and from one it sounds like onr of the originals. I will be there tonight and i really hope there are police officers there.”
…That there is the neighborhood meeting tonight (Sunday) at 7:30 at Martha Brothers Coffee which is on the corner of Cortland & Ellsworth. Hope they catch them soon!
Ladies (and gentlemen too!), We need to be extra careful when walking in the neighborhood right now. The last two nights there have been 2 incidents where ladies were held up at gunpoint and robbed.
The scary thing about these robberies is that they both happened at around 8:30-8:45pm! This is prime time people. Practically still daylight!
The first incident happened two nights ago (tuesday) at about 8:30pm, a group of four ladies were walking on Cortland Ave. and were held up at gunpoint around in front of Taco Los Altos. They were approached by 3 young adults (2 hispanics and 1 black males) were reported to have gotten out of a car (i am sorry, i do not know the make and model). The ladies were held up and had their money and cel phones and purses taken from them.
Tonight they struck again. As i approached the grocery store to buy some dinner, i saw 2 police officers talking with a young well dressed girl right outside the store. The girl was well put together but clearly shaken. I inquired inside and was told that she was held at gunpoint as well just one block from the grocery store one block down Andover at Jarboe. To add insult to injury, not only did they take her purse and phone, but also took her GROCERIES!! Can you believe the nerve?!
A last incident that should be noted. There was another incident this week down at 30th and Mission St. A guy was stopped by 3 young men at around 4am and was held up at gunpoint. The guy refused to give up his phone and wallet and in the process was shot by the assailants in the hand. I do not know if this is the same group of kids that preyed on the ladies the last couple days but it sounds pretty similar. I wouldnt be surprised if it were the same people doing the strong arming. They are all currently still at large.
An unnamed worker at The Good Life also told me that another thing that he thought these guys seem to be preying on are possibly intoxicated ladies. I am not sure why he believed this and didnt press him to explain why. I wish i had though to ask about the vehicle involved but i will look into it and get back to you all with updated information.
Keep your eyes peeled ladies. If you get stopped by a robber with a weapon, GIVE THEM YOUR ITEMS THEY ARE REQUESTING! Your stuff can be replaced. Your life can not! Walk in well lit places and if at all possible, take one of the one way streets going the opposite way so you can see anyone who is coming toward you. Put a lock on your phone. Download a phone tracking/retrieving app (i have findmyiphone and its free!) maybe cary pepper spray and keep your eyes open.
These kids are going to be caught. Possibly soon. They are possibly minors and possibly do not have a record so it may take a little longer than one would expect for an adult but these kids are so bold and brazen and prolific that it is just a matter of time before they are caught. Just keep your eyes and ears open and you are aware of your surroundings. AND BE SAFE!
As it turns out, while witnessing the aftermath of victem number 1 last night, those brazen bastards actually strong arm robbed TWO more times just less than THREE blocks from where the fucking COPS WERE!! Not only that but after visiting the comments in Bernalwood (http://bernalwood.wordpress.com/2013/01/25/wave-of-muggings-continues-near-cortland-avenue/) It looks like these have been possibly been going on since November and also over in Potrero and Glen Park neighborhoods which makes sense since they are two of our neighboring neighborhoods. Bottom line folks… If you are just going to the store, only carry what you absolutely need. Leave the iphone and the whole wallet at home if you are smart. That way at least they wont get our whole lives in one fell swoop. Be safe Bernal! AND KEEP YOUR EYES & EARS OPEN AND OBSERVING YOUR BLOCK!!
UPDATE** An arrest has been made last night in the disappearance of Morgan Hill teen Sierra LaMar.
It has been over 2 months since LaMar went missing on her way to school. Although a body has not been found yet, they have charged Antolin Garcia-Torres with kidnapping and murder.
Law enforcement has been watching Antolin Garcia-Torres since March after finding forensic evidence pointing to him in her bag that contained her clothes neatly folded along with her medication. They impounded his car several weeks ago as well.
Antolin Garcia-Torres is a 21 year old Morgan Hill resident. They think that there is no connection between him and LaMar and that this was a random stranger abduction. Law enforcement has also linked Antolin Garcia-Torres to 3 other assaults on women/girls in the Morgan Hill area although police remain tight lipped about who these other victims are.
Searches still go on to find the remains of Sierra Lamar. Extensive searches have been conducted in the local waterways in the last 8-9 weeks. They have yet to come up with any remains and the perp. has not cooperated so far revealing any of this information.
This is a sad day for the family of Sierra LaMar. However, a huge relief to know that a very dangerous man to any woman has been taken off the streets. Garcia-Torres was arrested last night at around 6:30pm at his job at Safeway without incident. He still has claimed innocence since the arrest.
Hopefully this guy will be put away for life so he is no longer a threat to society via him.
This is great! Follow the link to see some unexpected mug shots from the great genre of music! Thanks SFGate.com.blog!
The body was found of beautiful Bollywood actress Meenakshi Thapar. She was kidnapped by two of her co-stars of previous film Heroine, after hearing her talk on set about her family having wealth (which was not entirely accurate having come from middle class family). Her family paid off part of the ransom to her kidnappers and they still killed her, strangling and beheading her.
Amit Jaiswal, 36, and his lover Preeti Surin were caught after having her mobile phone and SIM card on them. After they confessed to the murder and lead authorities to her body.
They orchestrated the kidnapping by asking her to accompany them on a trip to Gorakhpur, a small town close to India’s border with Nepal and known for its Buddhist temples, where they held her hostage and sent a message a message to her family demanding 1,500,000-rupee (approximately $28,000) but Thapar’s mother only paid 60,000 rupees (just over $1,000). They threatened to drug her and force her into pornography if the ransom was not paid.
Authorities found her headless body in a small water tank but have not yet found her head which they said they threw out of a moving train they were taking back to capital city of Mumbai. Her torso was found and recovered Surin’s house in Allahabad on Wednesday. The head has not yet been found.
I find this crime so unsettlingly horrific and tragic. This young 26 year old actress had the world at her fingertips, finally coming up on more substantial parts for her to act in. Her beauty so apparent and her life so viciously taken… for what? GREED!
Now this is a prime example of why i believe greed is the most evil and poisonous threat to humanity. It can lead people to do the most unspeakable things on the planet. Nothing comes in the way of greed that it is not willing to chop down. Even a human life. It is the epidemic that is permeating the fall of western civilization. The only thing that can match its strength is love and it is going to be a battle royal to see which will prevail. Do not give into greed. Instead give love. It in turn will provide you with all those things you think greed will help you attain.
It is one sick day when two random people think that this is the way to get what they want! Do they not have a level of conscience to them to not let this hardcore factor to their thinking allow them to be able to cary out a beheading? This boggles my mind.
It is tragic in any place at any time for a family to lose a member this way. No one has the right to take another person’s life. If your greed runs this deep, you may as well take your own life because evil has truly corrupted your soul and you are nothing but a blithe to humankind.
Thank heavens this couple was caught because they deserve their comings from the world. I hope they have to suffer slowly for the rest of their existence to feel a tiny piece of the fear and pain that they were able to invoke in their poor helpless victim and those that loved her. This story happens to many others around the world, but because she was so beautiful and in the public eye, it is a real stand out case. It just shows us to be glad for what we have and sometimes having everything can be a dangerous thing.
My thoughts are with her loved ones as are many all around the world. May this not happen again (but unfortunately it will…. until greed is vanquished which i doubt will ever happen since it is a human trait. Dont let it poison your mind. You have the ability to control the level it has over you but only you can do this. If not checked, it caused nothing but tragic results. It is the root of pure evil!)
- Bollywood actress beheaded (myfoxny.com)
- Bollywood Actress Meenakshi Thapar Kidnapped and Murdered (jdjournal.com)
- Bollywood horror: Actress held hostage and beheaded by fellow actors in failed ransom attempt (mirror.co.uk)
- Actors Extort, Behead Co-Star (foxnews.com)
- Actress beheaded in extortion plot by 2 fellow actors (wnd.com)