While San Francisco is experiencing an extreme population boom and even more severe housing crisis, it is very easy for those who do not know or really care to just walk with the mindset of lets tear it down to be able to house more people with a new, bigger building….
Before thinking so recklessly, let us use this example below to keep this all in our perspectives. The tearing down of the Fox Theater and replacing it with Fox Plaza is one of the most outrageous oops’s SF has done to itself and even today, it stands as a landmark as to what not to do….
We have some AMAZING buildings here that if had to be built today, could never be afforded. They are our piece of history we are creating and helping preserve, and thanks to stricter rules regarding historical properties, this kind of thing does not happen as much (thank goodness!!).
But those rules could be reversed with one administration and then nothing is safe. Lets not sit so comfortably at the concept that we do not have to keep up the good activist fight for preserving our history, or we will witness the Fox Theater all over again… Take a look!
- The Numbers: The S.F. Planning Department Issues Its Annual Report (sf.curbed.com)
- Why the Sierra Club won’t oppose massive immigration that threatens the Sierras (nj.com)
- Growth boom out of steam: California Population Stagnates (nalert.blogspot.com)
- How San Francisco Has Changed Since Hitchcock’s ‘Vertigo’ (Photos) (blogs.kqed.org)
- Dear San Francisco recent recruits… Question for you on housing… (bluepearlgirlsworld.wordpress.com)
- Who the hell sent me to San Francisco (trythisroad.wordpress.com)