I am starting to feel the pit of my stomach start to get all bunched up in knots. I know like a subconscience meter as the days get nearer to the day i must travel. Having to leave town has always stirred up an ocd tendency in me to PANIC!
The first and biggest panic is my separation anxiety of having to leave my little pet. I always have an excuse no matter when and what pet i have at the time. It is really more about me not wanting to be without them rather than them thinking that i left for good and they will hate me forever. With my new kitty Arthur, I am going to challenge that separation anxiety more than ever because he has such fear issues.
This leads me to anxiety #2… the flight itself. Ever since 9/11, i HATE having to fly. It is so gosh darn stressful! It was bad enough for a girl like me back in the day to pack alone, but now, to have to downsize, evaluating the fluid ounces of all products and potions and getting them into that stupid ziplock bag. (you know that any real girl who likes her products is going to have a hard time with this one!). Making sure that i have all chargers, medications, makeup, hair, shoes, book, journal etc. and making it fit in a cary on sized bag… BIG CHALLENGE! And the fear assists me throughout worrying that i forgot SOMETHING. And it is probably something really important. It always is.
The only way i can get through the packing trauma is to start about a week early with lists. Those lists get longer and multiply as the days near.
The separation anxiety and the having to pack when it is not a regular activity and one has a system that they are familiar with, it becomes nothing but one huge nightmare.
Things get better once i arrive and settle in, but then to go through it all again to get back home…. UUGH. Not to mention having to be dealing in confined quarters with parental units at the age of 37 is always an interesting dynamic. We all do just fine when we just visit, but being together full time under stressful situations, it has been a bit of a fiasco in the past. I do believe that we are all at a better more mature and cohesive place when we travel together, but that is still mom and i am still her baby. I want to be extra patient though this trip because it is her mom that passed. So far she has not expressed any sadness over the phone, but i know this is a big loss for her. Losing a mom is a blow to everybody and an especially big blow if there is a great relationship with them even if they are 90 when they do go! I am pretty sure she accepts it and is very at peace with it, but it has to be really sad too. No matter what. Gosh… it is sad for me too.
Anyway, i doubt that me complaining out loud on a public forum is going to help me really at all, but i am here to be real with all of you, as well as myself and this is what i am dealing with right now. It will be interesting to see if the extreem anxiety increases my writing or blocks me up and makes it unable for me to write really. I am bringing my computer (of course) so we all can just wait and see what happens in about a week.
Travel is not my #1 anxiety activity. It is #2. #1 is moving… the king daddy of travel! Moving destroys me with anxiety (as i am sure it does lots of others!. I am curious (and help me keep my mind on other things! Please!!), what is it that hits your biggest anxiety triggers? Please share with me! I am sure a lot of people have no problem traveling, but there has to be something that they avoid like the plague because it kicks the anxiety into high gear. Come on, share with us all. After all, they say confronting your fears is healthy! 🙂
- I don’t want to be here (localgoth.com)
- Anachrophobia (allaboutcounseling.com)
- L.A.’s April Center for Anxiety Management Offers Relief for Upcoming Holidays (prweb.com)
- Anxiety and Panic Attacks (liftingtheclouds.wordpress.com)
- Anxiety Disorders (allaboutcounseling.com)
- Anxiety Treatments (neumannpsychology.wordpress.com)
- 6 Lessons To Overcome Your Fear!!! (slideshare.net)
- Panic Attack (caitlinsong.wordpress.com)
- Anticipatory Anxiety (neumannpsychology.wordpress.com)
- Three Ways to Get Out of Panic Naturally | Don’t Let Fear and Anxiety Take Away Your Success. (myanswersng.wordpress.com)
- Separation Anxiety Disorder (allaboutcounseling.com)
- “Don’t Leave Me!!!” A Plan for Preventing and Treating Separation Anxiety (reallypracticaldogtraining.wordpress.com)
- Coping with Your Dog’s Separation Anxiety (travelguy.typepad.com)
- Separation anxiety (dogmomsblog.wordpress.com)
- On Helping Kids Through Separation Anxiety (diarydad.wordpress.com)
- Video: 6 Ways to Distract Yourself From Panic (psychcentral.com)