I just found this really interesting information on how long it takes (right now at least.. Keep in mind that things are constantly getting faster so, in say, 6 months one might be able to cut this in like half….) to crack your passwords.
Think about it and if you are smart, you will keep this in mind when you are making passwords for your accounts.
This was pulled from VentureBeat’s blog. You can find the original post here http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/02/7-reasons-you-cant-take-social-networks-for-granted/
Ok… Get ready for some useful statistics here!..
Graphic processors allow password-cracking programs to work thousands of times faster than they did just a decade ago.
The LinkedIn breach (mentioned above) should by now make us realize that relying on traditional passwords isn’t enough anymore. Investigation-management software provider I-sight provides the following note on how easy it is to crack your password:
There you have it folks. Be smart with your private information and make sure you have a really solid password on your accounts. Now they dont need smart people to figure anything out and do the hard work… They just hit run on an application and wait until it has been cracked.
- Twitter detects and shuts down password data hack in progress (arstechnica.com)
- Tweet of day: How to create a strong password to guard against hackers (pcworld.com)
- 250,000 Twitter Accounts Hacked (abcnews.go.com)
- Most Passwords Are ‘Open’ To Hackers – How To Create One That Isn’t (sthcw.com)
- Just Go Change Your Twitter Password Now (techcrunch.com)
- Bop Design Reminds Business Owners of the Importance of Secure Online Passwords (prweb.com)
- 6 Password Protection Lessons Learned from the Sony Hacker Attack (savings.com)
- Twitter confirms hack compromised 250,000 user accounts (net-security.org)
- 7 reasons you can’t take social networks for granted (venturebeat.com)